Inverness Castle sits on a cliff overlooking the River Ness in Inverness, Scotland. The red sandstone structure, displaying an early castellated style, is the work of a few nineteenth-century architects.
William Burn (1789-1870) designed the Sheriff Court, Joseph Mitchell (1803-1883) the bastioned enclosing walls, and Thomas Brown II (1806-c.72) the District Court, originally built as a prison.
It is built on the site of an 11th-century defensive structure. Until the 30th of March 2020, it housed Inverness Sheriff Court: this role has now been moved to the Inverness Justice Centre.